Monday, August 8, 2011

Well, it's one of those pleasantly mild African winter evenings...the half moon is shining brightly and the stars are ever so clear! I'm trying to savour each and every moment I have. Last night, I was delighted to fall asleep listening to the sound of a white-faced owl (Here are some clips if you want to listen!). It's been very quiet most evenings...I was hoping to hear lion or hyena, but so far, nothing...or at least I'm sleeping through it.

Yesterday (Sunday), I slept in a wee bit later than usual, was at breakfast by 8AM or so and was a bit disappointed to discover that there was no church service after all... I guess because of the graduation on Friday and so many students leaving, they weren't having it after all. I wandered around the classrooms, just in case it was being held (I asked a number of students and they seemed to know nothing about it -- even though there was a flyer up on doors, notice boards, etc.). Oh well. Shame. I asked some staff folks about where they go to church (they do, but on weekends when they go back home)...

I was debating over going to spend some time reading my Bible in my room or walking the perimeter fence around the campus, when I found  out that Vali (the Canadian library volunteer) in the library so I went in and worked a bit on the display (I figured I better fit it in then since she was going to close the library at noon).

After she closed up shop, I wandered back to my room to read my Bible a bit and spend some time with God. After that, I did go and walk the perimeter (about 2.4km)...saw lots of birds, giraffe, impala and wildebeest. It was lovely!

Life is very relaxed and quiet here, something I've definitely needed -- and to be cut off from cellphones, TV, and internet (except for in here in the computer lab) is definitely a good thing, since I've been so used to going, going, going! I've needed this. Just the same though, I feel a little at a loss of what to do sometimes... I guess I was hoping to really be put to work and feel like I've done something worthwhile to help. I am painting this display for the library's 'realia' (collection of bones, skulls, nests, etc.), but it's not really 'work' if you know what I mean. I've been on three game drives so far, which has been absolutely lovely!!! But I feel kinda guilty that I'm having more fun with that, then working or volunteering, which was what I came here to do. I'm trying to take it all in stride, as an unexpecting blessing -- a time to just relax and enjoy this place. People are so friendly and nice here...everyone says hi and when they ask how you are, they mean it. It's been nice to make some new friends -- a shame to leave them so soon though! 
Yesterday afternoon, I went on a gamedrive, a lady named Sandy was driving a couple of her friends around and Matt hopped in along with some other folks. We were out for several hours, saw rhinos with babies, stopped for lots of birds (especially raptors, saw a couple brown snake eagles, a bateleur, a couple others we weren't able to identify in time), saw a gorgeous kudu bull, and the other usual folks (impala, wildebeest, giraffe, zebra...). We stopped at a waterhole at sunset and got out of the vehicle to wanderdown to the water's edge to look at tracks...pretty cool! There wasn't much there aside from white rhino and impala tracks.


We continued on our way and it got dark quickly -- always does in Africa! Sandy was having trouble changing gears and it soon became evident, after stopping to look at another raptor, that the clutch was stuck and she was having trouble even getting into gear. Thankfully one of the guys was familiar with landrovers and he jumped down to take a look. They managed to get it going but could not change the gears...we were stuck in 3rd. We were still several kilometers away from the campus so we tried to go the shortest route possible, which included 7kms along the boundary fence (heading parallel to the tar road going to Orpen). Sandy handed me the spotlight, as I was sitting directly behind her so I dutifully shone it back and forth --- only problem was that we couldn't stop! (We might not get it started again) We bumped along the road, saw several bushbabies in the trees, wildebeest, zebra and impala by spotlight...had a couple close calls with scrub hare, nightjars and a couple red-crest korhaans that didn't want to get out of the way, but thankfully everything moved out of the way in time to let us through (thankfully no rhino or ellies in the way either!!).

They managed to get the landrover into 4th gear, so we were going a bit faster, but it made for a really bumping ride, driving along the perimeter fence!! There were several steep (and bumpy!) descents down into dry streambeds and equally bumpy ascents too! We took it all in stride though...I tried to shine the spotlight on up ahead so that we could anticipate what was ahead -- it really felt like the bush-version of a roller coaster! Anyway, we eventually made it back and pulled up in front of reception (which is where the poor vehicle sat until this morning, until it was taken away to be repaired). Oh well...it all made for a memorable experience!

After the drive, I wandered over to the volunteer/staff housing area to join the volunteers having a farewell braai for one of the guys (yesterday morning he set off for the Kalahari, his new employment). I tried to make myself useful, helping to get dinner ready...a bunch of us sat around the fire, warming our feet and listening to stories...the guy who was leaving is a real story-teller and had us all laughing. It's clear that he will be missed! It was nice evening, all around and I felt welcomed into the bunch.

On a slightly lower-note, I seem to be fighting a cold or something. This evening I'm feeling much better, but I get this tickle in my throat and cannot stop coughing. The thatched apartment I'm in has just a screen in a section of the thatched roof (architectural design) which would normally be quite lovely, but because it was so cold the last few nights, it's been a bit drafty. I've been wrapping my capulana around my neck and face and that does seem to help (my blankets are very nice and warm). I've also been drinking a couple cups of tea in the mornings... most mornings they serve hot porridge which is delicious! 
I've not even started to recount today's activities... so I think I'll leave them for tomorrow. To be continued...

No comments: