Sunday, July 24, 2011

First days at the Seminary...

Well, here it is,  11:15pm here on Sunday night and I'm just settling into bed. We arrived home about 8pm or so after a weekend trip up into Gaza Province, but more about that a bit later... tomorrow, perhaps, when I'm more awake. Needless to say, it was a lovely trip! Will plan to post photos tomorrow.

Anyway, just wanted to catch up on the last few days --before I launch into great detail about our trip. Already, I'm finding that the days are slipping by like sand through my fingers. I wish I could slow time down --freeze it even-- for the rest of the world so that I be able to take everything in to my heart's content.

Thursday and Friday were spent on campus -- I've still not made it into Maputo city yet!! I was given some odd jobs to do, such as preparing various items for sale at the bookstore. I was shown a collection of well-used hymnals that I need to rebind (probably this week) and was asked to do several other things, also for the week ahead. 

I spent quite a bit of time wandering around the campus, chatting with folks. Of course, the only problem is that I'm on holiday and they are not! That will change, once I'm put to work too, ha!  But it has been so nice just chatting with folks, catching up and laughing together. Meeting old friends and making new ones.

There are a number of changes on campus. Most noticeable is the guesthouse, across the way from our driveway, it's less than 4 years old, but looks like it has been here for a while now. There is also a "cantina" (tuck shop)  further down, nearer the campus. It's actually in a huge metal container that forms the side of the campus workshop/storage shed. It has a window and counter, and two of the ladies from the dining hall, Mama Lidia and Mama Lina, work to manage it. They sell a variety of things, including coffee cakes, freshly baked the night before by Mom. You can buy a slice for real cheap -- which high-school students do -- and the proceeds go towards the seminary.  From what I can tell, it's in high demand!

Speaking of high school students, that is the other big change on campus-- there is a high school here now too! The very first building on the campus houses both the Africa-Lusophone Field Office for the Church of the Nazarene, but it also houses the high school with 6 large classrooms. It is ideal for Seminary students who want to finish their high school degree in addition to Seminary classes. There is also, I discovered, a new Catholic primary school just across from the Seminary main entrance, so the Seminary students' children are able to attend there - it can't get more convenient than that!

There are also the beginnings of a basketball court, the cement foundations laid out and poured by a Work and Witness team not so long ago. It still needs hoops added, but will be a welcome place for the single students who live in the dorm close by.

The campus is looking beautiful, trees are growing and flowers are blooming. One of the things I love here is that we have flowers blooming all year round - different kinds perhaps, but whether it is winter or summer, there are flowers and leaves and well... color!  I awaken to birdsong here in the mornings too! I need to start putting my bird sighting list together too.... there are a good number of birds here on the campus, which is somewhat surprising since there are so many people, but I think the campus serves as a haven for them. Each day I discover new species either in the bird bath or perched in the trees around. It's lovely!!!



Our house...

the "new" guesthouse

Spent an hour or so in the library with Mama Uate and Papa Lisone

Sérgio and Mama Lidia at the Cantina.
Backyard Sunset through the Cashew and thorn tree leaves.

No comments: