Saturday, April 18, 2009

'Summer painting season' begins!

Today I set up my 'art studio' over at my Grandmother's house. During the winter, I set up shop in her cellar, but once summer rolls round,
I gladly trade the dark depths of the cellar for the garage!
I got everything set up to my liking in about an hour's time and settled down in front of my canvas, brush in hand. It felt SO good to be outside and painting again!

It never fails to amaze me how simultaneously calming and invigorating it is to paint! I am working on Giants' Castle in South Africa. It's for my Zulu prof, a birthday present. She specifically asked for it so I'm trying to paint something akin to the following picture: http://k53.pbase.com/g6/08/621908/2/78317510.u7quvfla.jpg

I've so many ideas for paintings knocking about in my head...am really, really looking forward to spending time out here in the months ahead, listening to the birds, smelling the rain, enjoying the sunlight and feeling balmy breezes.

It's been a long, dreary and rather depressing winter... coping with disappointment, stress, not to mention all the bad weather. Finally, with the coming of spring, I feel as though things are going to change for the better...

5 comments:

Linda said...

Beautiful Picture!
I would love to see your finished painting of it!

(Hello..I was just blog surfing, and yours caught my eye! Hope you don't mind if I follow yours?)

Have a Great Day!
Linda

Beth said...

I don't mind at all!! I don't post on here as frequently as I'd like! :o) If you'd like to see my artwork, here is my site:
http://glimpsesofafrica.googlepages.com

I'll try to remember to post the finished piece on my blog here, but if not, it will most definitely turn up on my art site.
Thanks again! :o)

Linda said...

Ohhhh, you are Very talented! Great work...Very impressive!
I love big old Trees...I love the ones you have in your paintings.
You have a new Fan. :)
Hugs

Beth said...

Thanks so much Linda!! :o)
The big trees are Baobab trees and they are so characteristic of the area in Africa where I grew up. They really do tower over all the other trees there!

Linda said...

Beth...Do you make and sell the Jewelry? Beautiful!